Thursday 1 November 2012

Creating Trouble - Mosaic jewellery

Creating Trouble is featured in Inspired:London, We Make London's new book. Today we find out about creating Trouble and plans for the future.




What is name and background behind your company?
Creating Trouble came about mostly because I love creating things and found I had made more things than I would ever need or use! The inspiration for the name came about because someone at work used to say ‘Here comes Trouble’ every time they saw me, and I felt it worked with what I do – it seems to be quite an apt name as smashing up glass as a pastime does create a certain amount of trouble in our flat.

Where are you based? 
I’m from the south of England but I’ve been in London for nearly 8 years now, almost all of which have been based around the East End. I’m presently based in Hackney which I love.

How long have you been in business for?
Nearly 2 years now, although it’s only been this year that I have thought of Creating Trouble as a business. Before it was more of a hobby and pastime.



What do you love most about living in London?
I used to swear I would never live London because I disliked it so much. Now I can’t imagine ever living anywhere else! I love that there is always something new to discover or something to do – whether that is going for a cycle and finding sudden green spaces, discovering secret cocktail bars or just having the luxury of living close to most of my friends and being able to have an impromptu dinner or barbeque in the garden. I love how diverse and engaging London is – there really is something for everyone here.



Who or what inspires you?
I sometimes wonder this myself! A lot of my designs have a distinctly Art Deco feel to them, so I guess I would say that was a major source of my inspiration. But honestly I find inspiration in so many different things it is hard to pinpoint it. I love the works of Kandinsky, Rothko and Matisse. I love the architecture of St Paul’s and The Gherkin. And I love being out in the countryside and seeing what there is to see there as well, so I guess I would have to say: anything and everything is my inspiration!

What advice would you give designers starting out?
Keep at it! Believe in yourself and don’t expect it all to happen overnight. I consider myself to be a new designer and I am really still trying to find my feet – where my markets are, what I should be focusing my energies on, what I need to be doing in terms of marketing, accounts etc. It’s a huge undertaking to suddenly leave the security of what you’ve always known and jump into being a designer-maker. I’m still slightly daunted but I am loving the whole process. So believe in what you do, and go for it.



What is new for your company?
Everything! Creating Trouble is still in it’s early stages so at the moment I am focusing on the smaller mosaic projects. I have recently started adding rings into the jewellery collection and, at some point in the near future, I’m hoping to add earrings as well. I like how well the cufflinks I’ve recently added have been received so there will be more of those too.


No comments:

Post a Comment