Saturday 20 October 2012

Black Cactus - Hand-printed bags & clutches


Today we chat to Inspired:London featured designer, Black Cactus 


What is name and background behind your company? 
I am the designer and owner of Black Cactus London. After studying Sculpture and Printmaking, I've found some happy marriage of the two disciplines here in printing fabrics and constructing hand bags and purses. Just printing onto paper to frame for a wall seemed a bit dull. My prints now get out there and work! 

Where are you based? 
The Black Cactus studio is in South London. 

How long have you been in business for? 
Black Cactus bags were launched at The Clothes Show Live in 2011. Since then I have been honing designs and colour palettes and aiming to make a product that I would want to use! 

What do you love most about living in London? 
If I were honest, I'd say I really love a good old people-watch in a pub. South London is very far from dull and people never cease to surprise me! Everyone is an individual with their own story, I love trying to imagine what it might be. 


Who or what inspires you? 
I'm inspired by both our natural and urban environment; there is beauty in what we see every day. 

What advice would you give designers starting out? 
Never stop trying to improve your product, don't just be satisfied with today's effort. But certainly don't wait for everything to be perfect before you get out there - that will never happen! 


What is new for your company? 
The Autumn/Winter collection is available now. A lush selection of metallics, bright colours and organic patterns.



No comments:

Post a Comment