Sunday 21 October 2012

Caragh Buxton Illustrations

Caragh Buxton Illustrations is featured in Inspired:London, We Make London's new book. Today we talk to Caragh about her inspirations and plans for her business.



What is name and background behind your company?
My tiny business is called Caragh Buxton Illustrations, my work can be found at www.Caragh11.etsy.com. I adore to paint whimsical and childish illustrations,
My paintings are inspired by children at play. I love the way they lose themselves in a character – a fairy, a pirate, or a soldier. It’s magical to watch, and I try to capture that sense of adventure in my work. 
I run a very busy children’s party face painting business (www.patyfaceslondon.com) and am also a nursery nurse. I have four children so my life is incredibly hectic and my art is hard to fit in around a heavy schedule of school runs, working in the nursery and non stop face painting and body painting at events and parties. I am so in love with painting and drawing that I work around my busy life in order to fit it in because I simply adore illustrating, and it is my dream to be a full time illustrator.


Where are you based?
I am based in south London (tooting)

How long have you been in business for?
I stated caragh11.etsy.com about 2 years ago now

What do you love most about living in London?
I love the variety of people and the mix of cultures, my work means that I see every walk of life, and every party that I get booked for is different. Bringing my children up in London has given my children huge opportunities. For example both my boys row on the River Thames, they are regulars at the Herne Hill velodrome, they play rugby football and swim. I believe that they have had all these opportunities because we live in London and these things are on our doorstep.


Who or what inspires you?
Am definitely inspired by children, my own, the ones I meet while face painting and the children I look after at Nursery. I am fascinated by the way they play and their imagination. I love to paint pictures that I know they would enjoy to look at and it gives me so much pleasure when I see a child appreciating my illustrations. I love to look at the little faces and the expressions and the body language, I find it so very cute and try to capture that joy of childhood.

I am inspired by the classic illustrators like Arthur Rackham, but also adore illustrators such as Helen Oxenbury and my most favorites of all time Lisbeth Zwerger. Susan B. Pearse who illustrated the vintage Ameliaranne books is another one of my favourites. There are also illustrators that I see on etsy that I admire including Stephanie Fizer Colemen http://www.stephaniefizercoleman.com/. Danita http://www.etsy.com/shop/DanitaArt

What advice would you give designers starting out?
I would say do what you love and that love of your craft will shine through in your work.



What is new for your company?
I am having a new site made in January which will be called www.caraghart.com I have also just completed a lovely commission for Edition Gollong for a range of greeting cards, the limited edition prints will be available on etsy very soon.

I am working on characters including Pirate Girl called Captain Katy and Circus Girl called Lettuce, see images attached

Contact info
Art and illustration:






No comments:

Post a Comment