Wednesday 3 October 2012

Nancy Edwards - Graphic Designer

In our continuing series of interviews with inspiring designer-makers featured in "Inspired:London - A Guide to Handmade in London", we are delighted to catch up with Nancy Edwards.


What is the name and background behind your company?

Name: Nancy Edwards

Background: I am a graphic designer by trade, working primarily in the architecture industry, which is one of the reasons my work and style tends to draw inspiration from the built environment. However my background is in Textiles, having graduated from Goldsmiths with a First Class Honours degree in that subject and then starting my career working in rug design. Alongside my graphic design work I produce my own illustrations and artwork and work on private commissions, very often with a London theme. It's a busy time for me as I've recently launched by new website and am very excited about the forthcoming We Make London book!


https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/images/cleardot.gif
Where are you based?

Hackney, East London

How long have you been in business for?

About 12 years

What do you love most about living in London?

The diversity of the city, the different architecture and aesthetics, the creative buzz and the endless possibilities that a great city like London provides. I love the feeling that everyday can present something new and interesting to do, there are so many galleries and exhibitions, museums and shows to visit. It is the city that never fails to entertain. 


Who or what inspires you?

I take inspiration from my surroundings, and my illustrations are often direct responses to my environment, the city being my main stimulus. I have always been a huge fan of Thomas Heatherwick - his amazing bespoke Christmas cards are a recent discovery that I loved but it's his blurring of the boundaries between art, architecture, urban planning and design that really inspires me. Generally though I love the resurgence of craft, the handmade process and the style of the likes of Charley Harper.

What advice would you give designers starting out?

To ensure that whatever you choose to do, you enjoy it.

What is new for your company?

My new website went live recently - I'm really pleased with it and the feedback I've had. In terms of work my handmade books are my latest creation. These started as a collaboration between my husband, Jon, and me and - he provides the words and I do the illustrations and fashion the books by hand. The idea is to work on a collection of different, great cities. So far, there are books on London and Paris, and New York is on the way.They've been really well received thus far which is great for a project that is quite close to my heart.




No comments:

Post a Comment