Thursday 18 October 2012

By Emily - Quirky & imaginative jewellery

We chat to By Emily, one of the talented designers featured in We Make London's new book, Inspired:London




What is name and background behind your company? 
My jewellery company is called By Emily. I have been a craft maker since I was a little girl, I would spend hours making houses out of shoe boxes in intricate detail, perfectly formed grand pianos out of cardboard and tiny period costumes for my toys. 

I fell in love with jewellery making whilst I was travelling I stayed with a jeweller friend in Melbourne and she taught me how to solder. As soon as I came home I took over my parents workshop, bought a sheet of copper and made my first piece. 

Each collection is inspired by my love of English style and its unique eccentricity, the antique, the curious and the whimsical. Each piece is individually hand made and wrapped with quintessential English charm - jewellery in a vintage tea-cup. 
By Emily jewellery is now sold in boutiques in London and across the UK as well as online.





Where are you based? 
I am based in Ealing and work from my workshop at home. 

How long have you been in business for? 
Just had my 1 year birthday! Founded in September 2011 

What do you love most about living in London? 
The adventure, no two days are ever the same! 


Who or what inspires you? 
The list is endless! Memories, daydreams, illustrations, artists, poetry, the changes in the seasons, travelling, the countryside, the city… 

My jewellery collections are very narrative led and so books are an endless inspiration, especially classic literature. 

I also love history, I am fascinated by 1900’s-1950’s England and how society changed so dramatically so quickly- this was a big part of my most recent collection ‘A Countryside Alliance.’ I could spend hours wandering around museums, the V&A museum is probably my favourite place in London! 

What advice would you give designers starting out? 
Never give up. Do it because you love it. Ask lots of questions. Don’t take criticism personally. Learn the art of sales. Keep on top of costs and be prepared to work super hard!



What is new for your company?
I am about to launch my new collection ‘A Countryside Alliance’- which is always exciting but very nerve racking at the same time. I hope to be able to rent a studio in the New Year so busy preparing for that and building business in the UK and also internationally; its lovely to post packages to customers across the ocean!



1 comment:

  1. Gem and jewellery ar lovely and ornamental objects worn by each men and girls so as to feature glory to their temperament. they're on the market in varied forms like rings, necklace, pendants, bracelets and plenty of a lot of, made up of varied materials and metals like diamond, gold, silver, precious and semi precious stones, and artificial jewellery. One will choose between type of style, to suit every and each occasion. the value vary depends on the fabric, style and style of the jewellery. furthermore a number of the jewellery has sensible marketing worth too.

    If u want to go with Jewellery than visit on http://www.naaptol.com/buy/fashion/gems_-_jewellery.html

    I am uesd this site & I am happy with this site. And I am happy with this sites & i hope U will be happy with this sites.

    ReplyDelete